Once again, Afghan security forces have fired upon anti-NATO protestors. This time, the protests were held in Zurmat district of Paktia province, where several days ago NATO admitted to killing a woman in an attack which killed five Taliban fighters. (Reuters reports that an officials claimed there were two women killed.) Locals, however, say that 15 civilians died in the incident, resulting in protests which were met with police fire. Police claims that only three protestors were injured are contradicted by a local doctor.
Police open fire on anti-NATO protest
Gunfire wounds more than a dozen protestors, doctor says
June 14 - POLICE have opened fire on anti-NATO demonstrations in the south-east, wounding more than a dozen protestors, eye-witnesses have said.
Hundreds of people in Paktia’s Zurmat district took to the streets on Saturday in protest at what they called NATO’s heavy-handed military tactics, which residents blame for the recent death of 15 civilians in a NATO raid on a home in the district.
One of the demonstrators, Haji Zahir, said police opened fire on the rally and wounded 13 people.
An official at the provincial police headquarters, Ghulam Dastgir Rustamyar, said police opened fire on the protestors, but that only three people were wounded.
Rustamyar said police were told "terrorists" had infiltrated the protest...
Protestors denied rebel fighters were among the crowd of demonstrators.
The head of a private clinic in the area, Dr Haji Muhammad, said 13 people had been brought into his clinic with gunshot wounds. He said six people were in a critical condition.
NATO officials say they killed five Taliban insurgents and one woman in the air-strike two days ago.
Residents say the raid killed 15 civilians, including six children. (link)